09.03.10

Florence and the Oscar Machine


There was so much happening in the last three days! Besides washing my hair I was lucky enough to see two concerts. Oh, and the Oscars happened too...


Florence and the Machine
Drama, baby!

There is some bands that get hyped and after the first excitement wears off, they become like a throw-away plastic bag. Just remember to forget. This is definitely not the case with Florence and the Machine. Before I went to the concert I didn't KNOW any of her songs, I just heard some of them and they didn't leave any trace in my memory. But now? The concert was a bundle of positive fashion energy, english eccentricity and general Kate-Bushness (She's the woman who can sing about washing machines and the number pi and make you weep in the process). To see what I mean, here are some rather demure Kate pics:

http://dreamingarm.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kate-bush-ivy1.jpg

http://itsnotpossible.typepad.com/trashfan/katebush2.jpg

Everyone who knows me personally, is aware that it doesn't take much for me to perform "Wuthering Heights" at any given location/time (shower, street, flat, bar, university, church, park, beach, bed). But even the last teeny tiny inhibitions I had were finally gone after the concert on Sunday evening. Here is a video that should give you an idea... (the sound was much much better in reality):



I never had the feeling she was a cheap Kate rip-off, though. I think there's a big difference between being inspired by someone and copying. Florence and the Machine are definitely category one. My NANOWRIMO novel is category two. Proudly.

When I grow up, I want to be a free-spirited pixie hopping around on an enchanted stage full of flowers, harps and jungle drums. Tinkerbell will be my BFF and Peter Pan my boyfriend (I saw Finding Neverland again in January and maybe I cried a little...again). In case you wondered, Florence Welch is only 23 years old and her mum is a professor of Renaissance Studies. That explains so much...


http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/25/article-1195611-02D8819C000005DC-578_468x641.jpg


Academy Awards

The citizens of the Republic of Internet already wrote (and bitched) so much about the Oscars, that I'll just post my favourite gown of the evening and that's it. It's not the best dress ever (Why is there weird triangles? Why did no one wear a swan?) but in comparison to all the others, this Donna Karan still looks good on Penelope. Go Spain!



(I'm sorry for the font problems. If it's any consolation, it's not my fault)

2 Kommentare:

madmad hat gesagt…

"Everyone who knows me personally, is aware that it doesn't take much for me to perform "Wuthering Heights" at any given location/time"
... me too, me too!!!

really liked the link to that one mean blog! favorite part:
"If there was one look that stood clearly away from the pack, waiting to be torn apart by hungry predators (People and In Touch) like a sickly zebra, Jennifer Lopez’s gown was it, clearly the best old bedspread that money can shape into a vagina. On the red carpet it looked merely crazy; on stage it looked crazy and like it was made of bubble wrap."

zwei enthusiastisch erhobene daumen!

jive hat gesagt…

vagina dress was the evening's theme! see j.lo and vera farmiga...hands on (get it? get it?) feminism or just plain weird...you decide!